Who says living a healthy, balanced life can’t include the occasional indulgence? The key word here being “occasional.” 😉
Even though I’m living on a gluten-free, sugar-free, and mainly dairy-free healthy lifestyle, I still enjoy the common comfort foods (buttered toast, waffles, pancakes, pizza, nachos). The difference is that I just make healthier variations of them.
When you cleanse your body of the chemicals and overly seasoned foods that grace the shelves of the grocery store, you will be able to fully enjoy the same types of foods, with at least half the sugars, salts, syrups and other additives that make the other foods so addictive.
Because I am avoiding the packaged, store-bought foods, I love discovering healthy goodies for “treat day!” 🙂 I personally don’t call it “cheat day” because for me that comes off as sounding like guilty pleasures… And when I have treats, I plan on 100% enjoyment with no guilt on the side!
So, if you’re also looking for a guilt-free, gluten-free, treat… Here is a protein-packed waffle recipe!
Whey Protein Waffles
- 2 cups oat flour (just grind raw oats in food processor or blender to make into flour)
- 2 Tbsp ground flax
- 3 x30 gram scoops (or ¾ cup) whey protein (I used Whey Gourmet vanilla)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 4 egg whites (I used ½ cup carton egg whites)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In 1 bowl mix together oat flour, whey protein, flax, baking powder & cinnamon. Mix until blended. Add in wet ingredients (milk, vanilla, egg white) and mix until blended.
- Allow batter to sit for 5 minutes allowing it to thicken up a bit.
- Cook on waffle maker until golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Serve topped with berries, low sugar syrup, or whatever you like!
- Store leftovers in freezer bags and keep in the freezer. When you want to reheat them, just toss it in the toaster.
Serving size: 1 waffle Calories: 110 Fat: 3 g Carbs: 12 g Sugar: 0 Fiber: 2 g Protein: 9 g