Stefaniya Koleva and LeAura Alderson
Get Your Fit on at Home!
Do you want to exercise and get in shape, but feel like something is always stopping you?
During the last 3 years I have tried several different kinds of exercises and workouts in my attempt to be healthier, stronger and to look better. I’ve done jogging, Zumba, working out at the gym and TapOut.
It’s great to try new things, and I had fun with these but overall it seems the results were insignificant compared to some of the really fit women there. Maybe you had a similar experience..? Going to the gym and starting your workout, but you begin comparing yourself to the woman who’s there every day, has all the cute outfits and is super fit. It’s so easy to feel inadequate if we’re comparing ourselves to others. But we should really only compare ourselves to ourselves. In other words, just compete with yourself!
Compete with yourself, not anybody else.
But I know how you feel, especially if you’re just started. You want to make some progress first so that you can feel more comfortable in your clothes and around others who look great. But remember, there are people of all shapes, sizes and ages at the gym. If you’re overweight, you’re not alone. Just keep on working out and soon you’ll feel good in your skin and in your skinnies!
But in the meantime, if you’d rather get started in the privacy of your own home, there are lots of options for you. It doesn’t matter if you are just a beginner or more advanced – working out at home can be a great solution, and it can save a lot of time. The only things you need are a little bit of space and your own body.
Here’s an awesome guide from Wiki How, which will help you create the exercise routine that is ideal for you.
Establish Effective Home Workouts
Establish a workout regimen
It is easy to stick to the workout process if you have established a consistent routine. Ideally, your workout regimen should be as persistent as possible so that you and your family take your exercise sessions seriously.
- Select certain days and times for your workout session (i.e. Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s at 7:00 a.m.).
- Choose the best area in your house where you feel most comfortable performing exercise routines. Be sure you have enough space with no interfering objects.
- Remain disciplined. Don’t allow yourself to get lazy just because you are at home.
Try to work out when no one is home or you have little else to do such as laundry, dishes, etc.
- You don’t want to be competing with your family members as they get on with their everyday routine; and young children often like to climb all over bodies doing push-ups and sit-ups.
- If you have specific chores on your mind you might use that as an excuse to not work out or to end your session earlier than intended.
Act the part
Put on some music and dress for exercising to get you in the mood .
- Playing motivational music will help to get your mind determined and adrenaline pumping.
- If you get yourself ready as if you were going to the gym, you will be more motivated to exercise and ultimately get a good work out.You will also start to fill guilty if you are dressed for your workout but you find yourself sitting around and avoiding the exercising instead.
Always have a bottle of water nearby when exercising, even at home. Don’t assume you will pour yourself a glass when you are thirsty because you may not be as disciplined.
- Remaining hydrated is essential to working out. It replaces the moisture you lose in perspiration and it helps you maintain your energy.
- A great time to drink some water is during a break in-between exercise sets. For example: If you do two sets of 20 squats, take a drink of water after the first 20 and after the last 20.
Balance a healthy diet
It is very important to maintain a healthy diet while exercising. Eating a healthy snack at least 45 minutes before you exercise will give you the stamina and energy your body needs.
- For healthy snacks stick to food groups that contain carbohydrates and proteins.
- Remember, this is only a snack… Not a meal! If you plan to workout after a larger meal give yourself about two hours for the food to properly digest.
Best Fit Life Favorites:
Before Morning Workouts: Butter coffee with coconut oil preceded by lemon water, Brazil nuts and almonds.
For Afternoon Workouts: includes any combination of apple, banana, whey protein, blueberries, coconut water, coconut oil, or nut butter for protein and healthy fat. Or, we take a green juice route a healthy greens powder and/or pea protein powder or whey, coconut water and whatever greens and veggies are on hand. Usually, celery, cucumber, kale, spinach, ginger, flax seeds, chia seeds, and coconut water.
Recognize the potential your house has for a great cardio workout
Running is not the only cardio activity and you don’t need a StairMaster when you have actual stairs.
- Walk or run up and down your own stairs, depending on what your routine calls for. You can also do step-ups using the bottom steps, or taking the stairs two at a time.
- Do several sets of jumping jacks or you can also jump rope in your yard or a large room with enough space.
Include strength training
You can be creative with what your home has to offer. Walls, floors and furniture are great solutions for strengthening exercises. There are many workout options around your home. 
- Use the floor for push-ups, sit-ups, squats and planks.
- If you don’t have much floor space, use the wall for body-weight squats. You can also use the wall for standing push-ups by putting your body flat against the wall (feet shoulder distance apart and about half a foot away from the wall), placing your hands in a triangle in front of your chest and pushing out.
Utilize miscellaneous furniture around the house
Just take a look at your furniture and see how they can be used to their workout potential.
- An exercise ball can be used for push-ups, crunches or strengthening your core.
- A chair coffee table or sofa can be used for tricep dips.
- Lay the ends of a strong broom or mop stick on 2 strong, equally high, surfaces to do pull ups from a lying position.
Getting in shape doesn’t always mean going to the gym 5 times a week. You have the freedom to exercise in the comfort of your own home. HumanKinetics suggests this has numerous benefits such as deciding exactly when to work out, saving money and time, creating your personal set of exercises.
Working out at home has changed the way I see fitness, it helped me achieve greater results in a shorter period of time. Give home fitness a try and you will understand that when you feel comfortable your workout becomes a pleasure and goals are easily achieved.
4-Week Bodyweight Home Workout (Workout Series Book 1), by Arnel Ricafranca
My Trainer Fitness for At Home 6 pack workout plan of 6 complete workouts to use over and again, on Amazon
My Trainer Fitness 100 Calories Workouts 6 pack, workout plan of 6 complete workouts to use over and again, on Amazon
XTFMAX: Find Your Shape – Women’s Complete Home Fitness – 12 DVD Set, by X-TrainFit, on Amazon
I am Stefaniya Koleva, an SEO executive from Bulgaria. I am passionate about discovering inner peace through personal growth, exercising my mind and body and trying to live life instead of fighting it. I enjoy reading and writing. My believes are that as my favorite author Robin Sharma says: “The purpose of life is a life with a purpose!”